I love camping. It has to be one of my favorite things to do. There is just something about being in the middle of nowhere, with no phone service, no email, no electricity, that allows me to let go and enjoy myself more so than almost anywhere. But I must say, camping with kids is, well, not quite as enjoyable.
After a weekend camping trip to Moab, Utah I have determined the five below reasons why camping SUCKS with toddlers:
- Diaper Changes: what should be a simple clean up turns into an all out war when trying to remove sand and dirt from the kid's wiener. A wipe becomes like a solid piece of ice hitting his sensitive areas and has him screaming loud enough to wake the wildlife.
- Outhouse Trips: not only do I have to visit the God Awful smelling outhouse for my own personal reasons, but now every time my four year old needs to go potty my presence is demanded. Do you know how many times a four year old potties over three days? I'm still not breathing right.
- Three Boys in a Tent: as if sharing a tent with my husband wasn't troublesome enough, now I have the addition of two more boys. Snores, coughs and of course farts! Once again, I am still not breathing right.
- Campfire fun: is no longer campfire fun. It's campfire freak out as I spent the entire night begging my kids to "stay away from the fire!" When they aren't deliberately trying to jump in, they are running around going crazy with the possibility of falling in a constant concern.
- Rise and shine: the kid's clocks aren't going to change just because we are sleeping outside, wide awake they are at the crack of dawn, demanding attention before the sun has even risen above the mountain. I can handle this early rising in a warm house, but in the cold outdoors its just not pleasant. Especially when our first business of the day will be a ice pack diaper change followed by a trip to the outhouse!
And of course, the number one reason why camping with the kids doesn't suck:
- The realization that one day they will no longer want to go camping with mom and dad and we'll miss the hell out of them!